General Required Documents for a Belgian Schengen Visa Application
There are general rules that apply to every country you wish to travel to and as such, Belgium is no exception.
- First thing to do is to download the application form from the website, fill it completely. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Attach 2 photos; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas which must be valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required with at least two blank pages.
- Medical/health insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Belgium and the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Belgium and Itinerary.
- Flight itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Belgium
- Hotel reservation for the duration of your stay in Belgium.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay
If employed, you are required to submit;
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
As a student:
You will be expected to submit your;
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Belgian Visa application.
Additional documents required for the most frequent purposes of Belgian Visa Application:
Belgian Tourist Schengen Visa additional requirements:
- Invitation letter with the address and phone number from family member or sponsor – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Belgian Schengen Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Belgian company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Belgian Schengen Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Belgium, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Belgian Schengen Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Belgian Schengen Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Belgian Schengen Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Belgian Schengen Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Belgian citizen:
- Proof of Belgian citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Belgian nationality or naturalization order)
- Belgian marriage certificate
- Belgian family record book
Belgian Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Belgian Schengen Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Belgian embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
How to Apply
- Please note you can submit your visa application up to 3 months prior to your date of travel
- To avoid any disappointment, applicants are advised to submit their complete files at least three working weeks before the intended date of departure.
All applicants will submit their applications to VFS Application Centre with the following exceptions
- Holders of Diplomatic Passports
- Spouses/husbands of EU Citizens. Children of EU citizens.
These groups can/will apply directly to the Embassy Spouses/husbands and children of EU-citizens can apply directly at the Embassy after obtaining a prior appointment by an e-mail to [email protected]
If they voluntarily opt or prefer to submit at the VFS Visa Application Centre, in which case service charges must be borne by the applicant and paid at the Centre only.
Submission at any Visa Application Centre does not foreclose the possibility of an interview. An applicant may be invited by the Embassy if the need arises to do so.
Interviews are compulsory for Student Visas and Family Reunion, applicants in this category should have a mindset on this, as they can be called upon anytime for the interview in Abuja. Applicants are requested to read the following steps carefully before submitting their application at the Belgium Visa Application Center, Lagos and Abuja.
- Applicant is required to submit their application personally at the application centre. In the case of minor, parent or guardian must accompany them on the day of submission.
- Make a clear copy of all the original documents, three clear copies of passport data pages and applicant’s any previous visas.
- Fill online application form
- Pay the applicable visa fee and service fee at the bank teller counter at the Visa Application Centers (Lagos & Abuja).
- Along with application form and documents mentioned on this site applicant can come to VFS application center between 08.00 AM to 2.00 PM (Monday – Friday, except the holidays observed by the Belgium Embassy and Federal Government of Nigeria).